Interest-Free Educational Loans
Each year we provide approximately $600,000 in interest-free educational loans to help students pay for educational costs associated with going to college. You may receive one $3,000 loan each year you are enrolled in college, and you can receive a maximum of 4 loans (a total of $12,000) over the span of your undergraduate and/or graduate education.
We have two different loans, each with different criteria. You must meet the criteria for at least on loan to be eligible for consideration.
WE HAVE TWO LOAN APPLICATION PERIODS THIS YEAR!!!
You can apply for a loan either between July 1 and August 1 or between November 1 and December 1. You can not apply during both periods.
NOTE: The application for our loans is different from our scholarship application.
See our Scholarship and Loan Program FAQ for additional information.
Steps To Apply For A Loan:
1. Click the “apply” link and either create an account or login to an existing account. If you applied for scholarships in 2021or 2022, or applied for a loan in 2021, use the account you created then. DO NOT create another account. If you are unsure, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Complete and submit the application.
3. We will review your application after the loan period closes and notify you through email if you have been approved to receive a loan.
IMPORTANT NEXT STEPS TO RECIEVE A LOAN
After CFWM sends you notification you were approved for a loan, you will receive an email from ECSI/Heartland (our loan administrator) with instructions on how to set up your ECSI/Heartland account, do your loan entrance counseling, and sign your promissory note.
You must complete the entire process within 30 days of receipt of the email from ECSI/Heartland. Failure to do so will result in the cancellation of your loan.
We will send the loan check directly to you at the address you entered in the CFWM portal. If your address or email changed, you must edit your account profile in your portal.
See our Scholarship and Loan Program FAQ for more information.
For more information, see our Scholarship and Loan Program FAQ
Things to Consider Before Applying for an Interest-Free Loan:
- You can only receive one loan in an academic year.
- You can reapply for another loan each year that you are enrolled in college.
- Receipt of a loan in one year does not guarantee receipt in another year.
- Receipt of a loan is not guaranteed. Selection is at the discretion of the Community Foundation of Western Massachusetts.
- Loans are provided in the amount of $3,000 per year.
You could receive up to, but not to exceed, $12,000 over the course of your higher education.
Things to Know About Paying Back a Loan:
- Repayment of the cumulative amount of money you borrowed begins ninety (90) days after you graduate or stop attending college.
- There is no interest added to the balance at any time.
- Additional fees could be charged if loan repayments are not made on time.
All questions and issues surrounding paying back a loan should be made to Heartland ECSI at: heartland.ecsi.net
Our Loan Funds:
James W. Colgan Loan
Students who are and have been residents of Massachusetts for at least five years (other criteria may apply).
Margrit H. Sutton-Annen Student Loan
Students who are U.S. citizens of Swiss descent enrolled full-time in a two or four-year college.
If you are interested in establishing a new educational loan fund, please visit our START A FUND page.