Community foundations play an essential role in disaster relief and recovery in other parts of the world. As the Community Foundation of Western Massachusetts strives to sustain the strength of our region, we remain open to monitoring opportunities in which we might provide donors information to assist in their support of our global community. Below is information gathered from other community foundations to assist in this effort.
To assist in medium- and long-term recovery efforts in Ukraine, please consider making a gift to:
- DAF Advisors desiring to support efforts addressing the humanitarian crisis in Ukraine can submit a donor recommendation with CFWM.
- The Center of Disaster Philanthropy has established the Ukraine Humanitarian Disaster Recovery Fund to support efforts.
- The Council on Foundations and the U.S. State Department hosted an urgent discussion on how philanthropy can best support the humanitarian response to the Russian invasion of Ukraine. This session provided an opportunity for foundations and philanthropies to share what efforts are already underway and to discuss how the sector can coordinate and collaborate together to address the humanitarian needs that are growing by the day.
- Donate to support HIAS’ Ukraine crisis response. HIAS is building partnerships with Jewish community organizations and others in neighboring countries, including Poland and Moldova, to provide assistance to meet the needs of refugees.
To assist in supporting victims of the tornadoes that devastated areas of Kentucky, please consider making a gift to:
- Community Foundation of West Kentucky’s Tornado Relief Fund
To assist in the hurricane relief efforts in Louisiana and Mississippi, please consider making a gift to:
- Baton Rouge Area Foundation – Disaster Relief and Recovery Fund
- Greater New Orleans Foundation – Disaster Response and Restoration Fun
- The Community Foundation of Acadiana also has three relief funds:
Acadiana Disaster Response Fund provides immediate relief to Acadiana residents affected parish, state, or federally declared natural disasters.
Realtor Association of Acadiana Disaster Relief Fund was created after the hurricanes in 2008 as a proactive measure, so that funds will be available in the event of another declared disaster.
St. Martin Parish Disaster Relief Fund is an endowment fund that helps parish residents recover after a disaster has occurred. 50 percent of all contributions are used to build an endowment, so the funds are available immediately following a disaster.
- Community Foundation for Mississippi – Mississippi Community Response & Recovery Fund
To assist Haitian organizations involved in earthquake relief efforts, and organizations supporting refugees including asylum seekers facing violence at the US/Mexico border, please consider making a gift to:
- Ayiti Community Trust
- The Boston Foundation’s Haiti Earthquake 2021 Fund
- Haitian Bridge Alliance
- Haitian Women for Haitian Refugees
- World Central Kitchen
To assist in supporting Afghan refugees in our region, please consider making a gift to: