The Capacity Grant (formerly the Working Capital Grant) is a capacity-building and sustainability initiative for artists who currently live or have studio space in Franklin, Hampshire, and Hampden counties in Massachusetts. The grant is funded by CFWM’s ValleyCreates Initiative and administered by MASS MoCA’s Assets for Artists program.
The program pairs a $2,000 grant with coaching, workshops, and artist community-building. The Capacity Grant program has been designed so that each artist determines what they need from a broad array of opportunities, which means that each artist’s path through the program will look a little different. After being accepted into the program, grantees complete a brief onboarding call to learn more about the resources available to them. This also gives our team a chance to learn more about you and your creative goals.
Sample of application questions.
When selected for the program, artists will:
- Receive a $2,000 grant.
- Have the opportunity to take part in an interactive 4-hour in-person workshop, “Making a Plan in a Time of Uncertainty” with Laura Baring-Gould. In this workshop, participants will develop the building blocks for a simple plan toward achieving their personal, creative goals.
- Have the option of a 1-hour individual professional coaching session on a topic of their choice with an artist-expert of their choice.
- Be invited to spend a day at MASS MoCA with other artists from the cohort.
- Receive optional business plan writing resources.
- Receive priority sign-up for Assets for Artists’ other free online workshops.
- Receive a monthly invitation to an online or in-person meet up with fellow artists.
(Please note that for most recipients, the artist working capital grant will not be regarded as income for tax purposes, and will not result in a 1099 being issued, which would typically be considered taxable income.)
Application Timeline for 2023:
Applications Open: February 20, 2023
Applications Deadline: April 7, 2023
Cohort Announced: May 19, 2023
Welcome Phone Calls: June 2023
In-Person Workshop: September 2023
Trip to MASS MoCA: September 2023
Program Ends: December 2023
- Eligible applicants are artists aged 18+ of any discipline (painters, sculptors, installation artists, new media artists, craft artisans, designers, filmmakers, photographers, performers, writers, musicians, thespians, dancers, etc.) who live OR have a studio address in Franklin, Hampshire, or Hampden counties.
- These funds are intended to support individual artists only (the Community Foundation has other funding opportunities that support nonprofits).
Funding cannot support the following:
- Artists who are recipients of previous ValleyCreates Working Capital grants or ValleyCreates Project Evolution grants.
- Programming or operations of a 501(c)(3) organization.
Preference will be given to:
- Artists who identify as black, indigenous, or a person of color.
- Artists working in rural communities.
- Artists who utilize a socially-engaged practice and/or whose art engages community.
This program promotes equal opportunity and seeks diversity in its applicants and participants. Those who have never received an artist grant are especially encouraged to apply.
April 7, 2023, at 11:59 pm EST. Technical support is available Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Please contact Nicole Bourdon at Nbourdon@communityfoundation.org for programmatic support or Margaret Everett at email@example.com for technical support.