The Capacity Grant program seeks to create a stronger nonprofit sector in the Pioneer Valley by supporting organizations to be more effective in advancing their missions.
What We Fund
The Capacity Grant program funds activities that help organizations be more effective by investing in internal improvements that in turn enhance their capacity.
For information, Click here:
Eligible organizations can request grants in the amount of $1,000 to $15,000.
Projects can last up to one year. We do not fund projects retroactively.
Application opens: TBD
Submission Deadline: September 11, 2017
Reviews/Site visits: TBD
Decision date: November 29, 2017
Notification of Decisions: December, 2017
Organizations that have never applied for Capacity funding must schedule a phone call with the Program Officer prior to submitting an application.
- Organizations are eligible to apply for one competitive grant per calendar year from either our Capacity, Capital or Mission grant programs. If the organization is not funded, organization may not apply for either of the other two programs.
- Grantees from prior calendar years must submit the required final report documents noted in the previous grant agreement, including a final financial report indicating that all awarded funds have been expended. Submission of these materials is due within 60 days of the project end date and 30 days prior to seeking new funding through our Mission, Capacity or Capital grant programs.
- To apply, organizations must be recognized as tax-exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code or be a fiscally sponsored group operating under the auspices of a 501(c)3 organization.
- Fiscally sponsored groups must meet both Program and Filing requirements:
- Program Requirements: Applicant may ONLY apply for funds to support capacity building activities that lead to 501(c)3 status. No other activities will be funded for fiscally sponsored organizations. CFWM recommends a conversation with the Program Officer to clarify allowable activities under this requirement.
- Filing Requirements: Click here for more information about how to file with the Community Foundation as a fiscally sponsored group.
Limitations and Restrictions
Limitations specific to the capacity grant will be announced here on/before July 24.
All grants offered by the Community Foundation of Western Massachusetts have the common Limitations and Restrictions
Additional information about the application, eligibility, allowable activities and limitations can be found on this FAQ.
Application (Coming Soon)
Please refer to supplemental documents when applying for a Capacity Grant.
2017 will be the first round of Capacity Grant Program.
Trainings & Resources
Additional information and resources regarding capacity building can be found here.
The Community Foundation encourages potential applicants to call or email questions in advance of submission to increase the likelihood of alignment between the proposed activities and the grant opportunity.