This competitive grants program awards support for capital projects or capital campaigns.
Capital projects could include:
- Small or large renovations/additions
- Construction or expansion projects
- Purchase or construction of a new facility
- Equipment purchase with a useful life of at least three years
Capital campaigns include:
- Large fundraising efforts with requests to foundations, businesses, individuals, and government funds/banks/bond financing
- New buildings or renovations that cost more than $1 million
- A minimum campaign budget of $500,000
What We Fund
Competitive grants to support capital campaigns (1:1 matching funds requirement) and capital projects with a life span of 3 years or more.
Capital projects can request up to $25,000.
Capital campaigns can request up to $50,000.
Grant awards over $25,000 will require a 1:1 challenge match.
Capital projects: Should be completed within 18 months or less.
Capital campaigns: Should be completed within 18 months or less.
Application opens: July 17, 2017
Application deadline: September 18, 2017
Reviews/Site visits: Mid-October to Early November
Decisions date: Mid-November
Notification of Decisions: Early December
Preliminary application opens: July 17, 2017
Preliminary application due: August 23, 2017
Complete application due: September 18, 2017
Reviews/Site visits: Mid-October to Early November, 2017
Decision date: Mid-November, 2017
Notification of Decisions: December, 2017
Trainings & Resources
Link to chart for Capital schedule (TBD)
- Organizations that have never applied for Capital funding must attend a free Grant Training Session, webinar or office hours with the Program Officer. If the organization is not funded, organization may not apply for either of the other two programs.
- Organizations are eligible to apply for one competitive grant per calendar year from either our Capacity, Capital or Mission grant programs.
- Grantees will submit a narrative summary of any current project along with a final financial report indicating that all awarded funds have been expended. Submission of these materials is due within 60 days of the project end date and 30 days prior to seeking additional funding through our Mission, Capacity or Capital grant programs.
- Organizations seeking capital campaign support must submit a Preliminary Application. Capital campaign requests moving forward will then be invited to submit a full application.
- Applying organizations must be recognized as tax-exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
- Organizations that do not have public charity status may apply for grants if fiscally sponsored by a 501(c)(3) public charity. Click here for more information on fiscal sponsors.
- For guidelines around projects benefiting schools, both public and private, preschool through higher education, see Limitations and Restrictions.
Ineligible Requests for Funding
General Operating Support Grants: The Community Foundation Grants Program does not provide grants for general operating support. Exceptions may be made for very small organizations that are limited in scope and only operate one program. The Grants Program does not support requests for:
- The same project less than one year apart.
- Private education and religious organizations except for programs that serve broad community needs. (Please see Limitations and Restrictions on Grants for Programs Benefiting Schools.)
- Retroactive funding for projects that have been complete or will be complete prior to the grant decision date.
- Fundraising events, the purchase of tickets for benefits, or courtesy advertising.
- Projects that seek to directly or indirectly influence legislation or election campaigns; activities related to influencing government policies, permitting or regulations will not be considered.
- Higher education scholarships. Information about the Community Foundation scholarship and interest free education loan program can be found here.
Only in rare circumstances and with prior approval would we consider: Requests for academic or medical research; replacement of governmental or other public funding except for grants bridging periods before anticipated funding; or request for multi-year funding.
Fiscally Sponsored Orgs/ Fiscal Sponsors
Fiscally Sponsored Organizations
Community Foundation Grant Portal: The majority of Community Foundation grant applications require use of our on-line grant portal. For a user guide to the Portal, click here.
Application Preview (Coming Soon)
Application (Coming Soon)
For more information, please contact Sheila Toto at email@example.com.