This competitive grants program awards support for a program or project of a nonprofit organization that:
- Is based on a set of activities;
- Is conducted during a specified period of time;
- Clearly states deliverables;
- Further promotes the organization’s mission.
What We Fund
Mission Grants provide funding for a wide range of community projects that meet needs in our region. In general, projects center on arts and culture, economic development, education, environment, health, housing, and human services. Applications can be for existing programs or new programs that promote the applying organization’s mission.
Eligible organizations can request up to $25,000 for a Mission Grant.
Projects can last up to one year. We do not fund projects retroactively.
Application opens: January 30, 2017
Submission Deadline: March 3, 2017 at 5 p.m. **Please note deadline changed from Feb. 24, 2017**
Reviews/Site visits: March – May, 2017
Decision date: June 8, 2017
Notification of Decisions: July, 2017
Trainings & Resources
- Organizations that have never applied for Mission funding must attend a free Grant Training Session, webinar or office hours with the Program Officer. Click here to schedule a phone session with a grants officer for more information;
- Applying organizations must be recognized as tax-exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code;
- Organizations that do not have public charity status may apply for grants if fiscally sponsored by a 501(c)(3) public charity. Click here for more information on fiscal sponsors;
- Organizations are eligible to apply for one competitive grant per calendar year from either our Capacity, Capital or Mission grant programs;
- Grantees will submit a narrative summary of any current project along with a final financial report indicating that all awarded funds have been expended. Submission of these materials is due within 60 days of the project end date and 30 days prior to seeking additional funding through our Mission, Capacity or Capital grant programs;
- For organizations that have gross revenue and support less than $200,000 in a fiscal year, we require an income and expenses statement and a balance sheet. This information is required in addition to the annual operating budget;
- For guidelines around projects benefiting schools, both public and private, preschool through higher education, see Limitations and Restrictions.
Ineligible Requests for Funding:
General Operating Support Grants: The Community Foundation Grants Program does not provide grants for general operating support. Exceptions may be made for very small organizations that are limited in scope and only operate one program. The Grants Program does not support requests for:
- The same project less than one year apart;
- Private education and religious organizations except for programs that serve broad community needs. (Please see Limitations and Restrictions on Grants for Programs Benefiting Schools);
- Retroactive funding for projects that have been complete or will be complete prior to the grant decision date;
- Fundraising events, the purchase of tickets for benefits, or courtesy advertising;
- Projects that seek to directly or indirectly influence legislation or election campaigns; activities related to influencing government policies, permitting or regulations will not be considered;
- Higher education scholarships. Information about the Community Foundation scholarship and interest free education loan program can be found here.
Only in rare circumstances and with prior approval would we consider: Requests for academic or medical research; replacement of governmental or other public funding except for grants bridging periods before anticipated funding; or request for multi-year funding.
Fiscally Sponsored Orgs/ Fiscal Sponsors
Fically Sponsorted Organizations
Mission Grant applications will only be accepted online through the Community Foundation Grant Portal. You may preview the application, here.
- To review the user guide to the Portal, click here;
- Click here to begin the online application process;
- When you need to get back into the application, go directly through the Portal link.
This is a new system and we offer support during our regular business hours, Monday-Friday from 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Start early to ensure you are able to complete the application by 5 p.m. on March 3, 2017.
For more information, please contact Sheila Toto, Senior Program Officer at email@example.com.