Mission grants provide support for programs and events, administered by nonprofit organizations, that address the diverse needs of residents in our region.
Pre-application phone calls are currently under way. To schedule a call please click here.
- Grant range: $2,500 to $25,000.
- There is a minimum of $700,000 available for Mission grants in 2020. Based on CFWM geographic fund restrictions we anticipate awarding grants that benefit residents as follows:
- 60% of funding for Hampden County.
- 20% of funding for Hampshire County
- 20% of funding for Franklin County
- Organizations that have received prior funding through our Mission, Capacity or Capital grants program must have their final grant reports submitted and approved by a CFWM program officer by end of day on January 14, 2020.
- All potential grant applicants must participate in a pre-application phone conversation with the Mission Program Officer in order to be eligible for this grant competition. The opportunity to sign-up for a phone conversation will take place starting December 2, 2019 and will close on January 31, 2020. Based on available resources a maximum of 90 pre-application phone slots will be made available for potential applicants. Once the 90 slots are full, we will take names for a waiting list. The Foundation reserves the right to close this program prior to January 31, 2020, if we’ve reached capacity.
- Applying organizations must be recognized as tax-exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
- Organizations that do not have public charity status may apply for grants if fiscally sponsored by a 501(c)(3) public charity. (http://communityfoundation.org/nonprofits/fiscally-sponsored-organizations-fiscal-sponsors/
- Private education and religious organizations with projects that serve broad community needs are eligible to apply provided they meet certain criteria.
- The program or event under consideration must be serving residents of Franklin, Hampden and/or Hampshire counties in Massachusetts.
To view overall eligibility guidelines for applicant organizations please click here.
Programmatic requests must include:
- A programmatic focus that further promotes the applying organization’s mission.
- A set of activities that are conducted during a specific period-of-time.
- Clearly stated expectations and results.
- A methodology to evaluate the program.
- A realistic program budget that aligns with request time frame.
- Financial information that demonstrates the organization’s overall financial health.
- Duration of grants: Up to1 year from grant award date; program timeframe defined by applicant.
Event requests must include:
- An event focus that further promotes the applying organization’s mission.
- Clearly stated expectations and results.
- A methodology to evaluate the success of the event.
- A realistic project budget that aligns with the event.
- Financial information that demonstrate the organization’s overall financial health.
- Duration of grants: The event to be supported must take place between June 1, 2020 and May 31, 2021.
- Programs or events where the applicant can demonstrate a readiness to implement.
- Requests where CFWM funding would be supplemented by other sources of support in implementing the program or the event.
- To support requests of organizations where financial resources are stable, but limited.
- CFWM attempts to make grants in a variety of sectors (i.e.: arts and culture, education, environment, health, housing, and human services) and to organizations of varying budget sizes in order to attain a total award portfolio that is diverse.
- The support of activities that promote the internal development of an organization. This would include building specific skills, capabilities, and strategies enabling an organization to better execute their work. These types of request may align with our Capacity Grant program, which focuses on organizational effectiveness.
- Activities of programs that take place prior to June 1, 2020.
- Planning grants.
Please click here to view activities that are ineligible for funding from any of CFWM’s grant programs.
Grant Application Process
- All applicants must schedule a pre-application phone conversation the Mission Program Officer by January 31, 2020. Please click here to access the calendar to schedule a phone call.
- A link to the appropriate grant application will be provided upon completion of scheduled phone call with the Mission Program Officer. Previews of the applications will available by November 15, 2019.
- Grant applications will be submitted through our on-line grants management system.
- Applications must be complete including all correct attachments at time of submission.
- Schedule a pre-application phone conversation with the Mission Program Officer. The opportunity to sign-up for a session will take place starting December 2, 2019. The pre-application phone call timeframe: December 2, 2019-January 31, 2020. To schedule a call please click here.
- Submission deadline: February 14, 2020 by 5:00 p.m.
- Reviews/site visits: March 30, 2020 – May 1, 2020
- Decision date: May 29, 2020
- Notification to applicants: Mid-June 2020
Application and Related Materials
A link to the appropriate grant application will be provided upon completion of scheduled phone call with the Mission Program Officer. To view a preview of the applications, please click the links below:
- For grant FAQ’s, please click here.
Mission Program Officer Sheila Toto at firstname.lastname@example.org.